All About Compost Workshop
or 6 weekly payments from $27.50 learn more
Tutor: Yotam Kay
13th November 2021
Hours: 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Come and join us in this comprehensive workshop dedicated to the practice and art of making compost. Not all composts are created equal and compost can be much more than a way to recycle garden waste. In this workshop, we will combine theory with practice, so you can learn how to make compost of the highest quality at home.
During the workshop we will build a free standing round compost pile, to help you understand the full process and build your compost making confidence.
In this workshop we will cover the following topics:
- The ins and outs of the composting process
- Recommended composting materials and amendments
- Various methods and structures to make compost at home
- Recommended ways to cure and store compost
- How to use compost for maximal return in the garden
- Growing cover crop
- Using compost as a basis for your own potting mix
- Making and using liquid fertilisers
- Using chickens to make compost
- Using black soldier flies to recycle organic waste and produce valuable proteins for poultry
- Using a biodigester to recycle organic waste and make cooking gas
No prior knowledge is needed, but prior experience in compost making is useful.
A handout with key points and technical information will be provided.
Organic morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
Please bring a plate to share for a potluck lunch.
The workshop is limited to 16 participants.