Three Days Home Gardening Intensive
or 6 weekly payments from $125.00 learn more
Tutors: Harry Parke and Yotam Kay
End of January or Early February 2022
Join us in this comprehensive three days event, where we will cover all aspects of home gardening in depth. Over the intensive, we will combine theory with hands-on sessions.
Come and get yourself immersed with us in our garden. We produce food in our gardens to almost entirely feed ourselves year round.
We will cover the same topics as the one day gardening workshops, but with the additional time, we will delve deeper and allow for more hands-on sessions.
To have a super productive garden is to do a lot of small things very well. Learn advanced skills of growing nutritious food for you, your family and community in any size garden. We will cover essential topics that will help you grow an even more productive garden, capable of feeding you throughout the year. Bring all your vegetable gardening questions with you.
We will cover the following topics:
- Basic principles in organic gardening: soil health, building and maintaining a high level of fertility.
- Considerations in choosing the best location for your garden.
- Staring a new garden using no-dig methods, including; converting a lawn into a
garden, garden bed designs, in-ground beds and raised beds.
- Recommended tools.
- Propagating your own plants and growing healthy seedlings.
- Growing microgreens.
- Direct seeding in the garden.
- How to plant in the garden.
- Plant care and getting the most out of your garden.
- Weeding strategies.
- Watering systems.
- Crop planning for a four-season harvest.
- Companion planting and crop rotation.
- Plant health and managing pests and diseases.
- Seed savings.
- Making great compost.
Who is intensive for:
This workshop is suitable for those that want to get their hands in the soil. This program is for individuals who want to build and strengthen a substantial gardening base, using productive and efficient techniques.
This intensive is suitable for both urban and rural locations from across NZ. The workshop is suitable for people who already have a vegetable garden, as well as beginner gardeners.
- Morning tea, afternoon tea, lunch and dinner will be catered for during intensive. We will be using local and/or organic produce.
- Limited spaces are available. The intensive is limited to 15 people.
- We will mostly be learning and working as a group, but we will also split into various tasks.
- This is a full-time programme, 9 am to 4:30 pm.
- You will be making your own breakfasts. We will provide you with local and organic produce: bread, oats, eggs, vegetables, milk, grains, legumes etc.
- We cannot house pets on the farm.
- We will gladly pick you up from the bus station in Thames on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.
- We ask for the responsible consumption of alcohol, no drug use and smoking at designated spaces only. In case of inappropriate behaviour, you will be asked to leave.
- We offer camping on the farm under the pecan orchard, besides the river. The facilities include; outside covered kitchen, hot shower, 12v lights & phone charging and composting toilets.
- You will need to provide your own tent/caravan/van
- The campsite has mobile reception, but no WiFi
- The campsite does not have 220v electricity
Programme fees for the Three Days Home Gardening Intensive include:
- Three days of classes, workshops and hands-on learning.
- Extensive handouts, with detailed information regarding the course material
- Catered lunches, dinners, morning and afternoon teas
- Organic and/or local food supplies for making your own breakfasts
- Camping facilities
- Certificate of completion