Market Gardening Intensive
or 6 weekly payments from $195.83 learn more
22nd - 26th November 2021.
Early Bird discounted price until 31st July 2021 $1,175. Full price $1,250.
The Market Gardening Intensive is a five days programme of comprehensive market gardening skills for aspiring market gardeners.
This programme combines practical hands-on learning with classes and workshops. We believe that this integrative style of learning is the ultimate platform to up-skill and empower a new generation of growers. We love what we do, and are excited to share this experience and create programmes we would have loved to attend ourselves when we started our journey in small-scale farming!
The core aspects of the Market Gardening Intensive are:
We will be sharing the ins and outs of our successful market gardening operation. During class, you will get a comprehensive view of how our business functions and to get all your questions answered. While working in the market garden and through demonstrations, you will gain valuable insights about how we run the gardens and the various techniques we use.
We will cover all the fundamental aspects of market gardening:
- Farm design and infrastructure
- Soil health and fertility
- How to start your farm
- Bed preparation, plant propagation, transplanting and direct seeding
- Crop care, weeding and tool maintenance
- Harvesting a diversity of crops and post-harvesting of vegetables
- Salads and microgreens production
- Pest and disease management
- Food safety
- Irrigation systems
- Tunnel house design
- Crop and production planning
- Management, accounting, financial and business planning
- Farmer care
Who is the Market Gardening Intensive for
This programme is primarily for aspiring small-scale market gardeners and for people who want to learn how to grow food on a community scale. This is the most comprehensive market gardening program we offer. It is suitable for seasoned market garden employees that want to start their independent operation, as well as people with no background in market gardening or gardening. We cover the basics as well as the fine details of the trade.
- Limited spaces are available. The intensive is limited to 15 people
- We will mostly be learning and working as a group, but we will also split into various tasks
- This is a full-time programme, 9 am to 5 pm
- Morning tea, afternoon tea, lunch and dinners will be catered for during intensive. We will be using local and/or organic produce
- You will be making your own breakfasts. We will provide you with local and organic produce: bread, oats, eggs, vegetables, milk, grains, legumes etc
- We cannot house pets on the farm
- We will gladly pick you up from the bus station in Thames on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning
- We ask for the responsible consumption of alcohol, no drug use and smoking at designated spaces only. In case of inappropriate behaviour, you will be asked to leave.
- We offer camping on the farm under the pecan orchard, besides the river. The facilities include; outside covered kitchen, hot shower, 12v lights & phone charging and composting toilets
- You will need to provide a tent/caravan/van
- The campsite has mobile reception, but no WiFi
- The campsite does not have 220v electricity
Programme fees for the one week Market Gardening Intensive include:
- Five days of classes, workshops and hands-on learning
- Extensive handouts, with detailed information regarding the course material
- Catered lunches, dinners, morning and afternoon teas
- Organic and/or local food supplies for making your own breakfasts
- Camping facilities
- Certificate of completion
- A 50% discount code for our Online Market Gardening Course
We have a limited amount of spaces for participants who want to stay with us on the farm for an extended time, to continue to practice and improve their market gardening skills under our mentorship. For more details please email Yotam@Pakarakafarm.co.nz.
In cancellation of up to 45 days before the start of the programme, you will get a 100% refund. In cancellation between 21 to 44 days, you will get a 50% refund, under 20 days no refund will be given. We reserve the right to terminate participation in the programme at any stage, in instants of violent or dangerous behaviour, without a refund.
We reserve the right to cancel this event. If a result of unforeseen circumstances the intensive will be cancelled, you will receive a full refund.